Another Comcast service interruption

I am not sure what is happening to Comcast’s IP network as of late, but I am frequently seeing significant packet loss on my cable modem connection:

$ ping www.google.com

PING www.l.google.com (64.233.179.99): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 64.233.179.99: icmp_seq=14 ttl=238 time=25.527 ms
64 bytes from 64.233.179.99: icmp_seq=15 ttl=238 time=23.751 ms
64 bytes from 64.233.179.99: icmp_seq=17 ttl=238 time=24.669 ms
64 bytes from 64.233.179.99: icmp_seq=20 ttl=238 time=23.855 ms
64 bytes from 64.233.179.99: icmp_seq=23 ttl=238 time=23.442 ms
64 bytes from 64.233.179.99: icmp_seq=26 ttl=238 time=25.103 ms
64 bytes from 64.233.179.99: icmp_seq=27 ttl=238 time=23.294 ms
64 bytes from 64.233.179.99: icmp_seq=28 ttl=238 time=24.033 ms
64 bytes from 64.233.179.99: icmp_seq=32 ttl=238 time=23.458 ms
64 bytes from 64.233.179.99: icmp_seq=34 ttl=238 time=24.503 ms
^C
--- www.l.google.com ping statistics ---
35 packets transmitted, 10 packets received, 71% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 23.294/24.164/25.527/0.719 ms

I used mtr to verify the packet loss was inside Comcast’s IP network, and am starting to think I need to switch service providers again. Ugh!

Comcast outage

Comcast suffered a pretty big outage tonight, and this was the first time I have seen packets arrive out of order:

$ ping www.google.com

PING www.l.google.com (64.233.187.99): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from 64.233.187.99: icmp_seq=3 ttl=237 time=59.443 ms
64 bytes from 64.233.187.99: icmp_seq=2 ttl=237 time=1778.317 ms
64 bytes from 64.233.187.99: icmp_seq=6 ttl=236 time=57.564 ms
64 bytes from 64.233.187.99: icmp_seq=7 ttl=236 time=58.332 ms
64 bytes from 64.233.187.99: icmp_seq=8 ttl=236 time=59.097 ms
64 bytes from 64.233.187.99: icmp_seq=9 ttl=236 time=1577.491 ms
64 bytes from 64.233.187.99: icmp_seq=11 ttl=236 time=58.350 ms
64 bytes from 64.233.187.99: icmp_seq=12 ttl=236 time=58.627 ms
64 bytes from 64.233.187.99: icmp_seq=12 ttl=236 time=180.264 ms (DUP!)
64 bytes from 64.233.187.99: icmp_seq=13 ttl=237 time=57.567 ms
64 bytes from 64.233.187.99: icmp_seq=14 ttl=237 time=58.249 ms
64 bytes from 64.233.187.99: icmp_seq=15 ttl=236 time=2440.571 ms
64 bytes from 64.233.187.99: icmp_seq=19 ttl=236 time=57.387 ms
64 bytes from 64.233.187.99: icmp_seq=17 ttl=236 time=2284.079 ms
64 bytes from 64.233.187.99: icmp_seq=20 ttl=237 time=58.684 ms
^C
--- www.l.google.com ping statistics ---
22 packets transmitted, 14 packets received, +1 duplicates, 36% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 57.387/589.601/2440.571/882.284 ms

Glad they got things back up and operational!

Speakeasy Goodness

I submitted my DSL order to Speakeast last week, and have been receiving daily status e-mails similar to the following:

BROADBAND ORDER IN PROCESS

Broadband Installation Status:

Stage 1: Order Received
Your order has been received by Speakeasy.
Stage 1: COMPLETED.

Stage 2: Order Placed
We have placed your order with the vendor.
Stage 2: COMPLETED.

Stage 3: Install Confirmation
Stage 3: PENDING.

Stage 4: IP Address & Circuit Configured
We have configured our router for your impending circuit.
Stage 4: COMPLETED.

Stage 5: Configuration Information Sent
We have sent you machine configuration information.
Stage 5: COMPLETED.

Stage 6: Install Confirmed
Stage 6: PENDING.

Stage 7: Set Up Fee Received
Stage 7: PENDING.

Stage 8: Installation Complete
Stage 8: PENDING.

This is amazingly cool, and is super valuable for understanding what is happening with your order. I imagine this saves them a good deal of support calls, and keeps the customer in the loop along the way. Way to go Speakeasy!