If you subscribe to SysAdmin magazine, you might be interested in my article Debugging Apache Web Server Problems, which is available in the July issue. Here is the list of topics I covered in the article:
– Using single process mode to isolate problems.
– Using httpd flags to debug configuration errors.
– Debugging CGI script execution problems with ScriptLog.
– Using mod_backtrace to determine why a process crashed.
– Dumping HTTP requests and responses with mod_dumpio.
– Using ptools and gdb to see why an httpd process hung.
– Enabling maintainer mode to simplify debugging.
– Using the source code to locate problems.
I have been a long time subscriber to SysAdmin, and it’s one of the few magazines I read each month from cover to cover. If you happen to read my article, I would love to hear your thoughts (good or bad).