Rebuilding the RPM database indexes

The RPM indexes on one of my CentOS 4.4 machines got corrupted last weekend, which caused some issues on one of the servers I was trying to update. To fix this issue, I removed the files with two underscores in /var/lib/rpm:

$ rm -f /var/lib/rpm/__*

And then I recreated the indexes by running rpm with the “–rebuild” option:

$ rpm –rebuild

This experience taught me a few things:

1. The package header information is stored in /var/lib/rpm/Packages

2. RPM has an “–initdb” option to initialize the RPM database

3. I really don’t care for RPM

2 thoughts on “Rebuilding the RPM database indexes”

  1. 3. I really don’t care for RPM

    Lol. I remember deleting/rebuilding the RPM database, back in the day. I’ve managed to stay away from RPM-based distros since RedHat 9. NO desire to go back.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *